What do I need to create a website for my business?
The three basic elements that are required to create a web page for your business are a domain, a hosting server ( hosting ) and the content of the web page itself (which can be managed through a platform called CMS). Here is a brief description of each of these elements:
- Domain. As Godaddy.com (a leading company in the sale of web domains) mentions, the domain of a web page is the address that visitors will use to access it. This name is unique and unrepeatable, so you should think of an address that is easy to remember and relevant to your business.
- Hosting. The content of the web page for your business must be stored on a server, which will send said content to the devices of the visitors each time they access the site. This server space is known as web hosting or web hosting and must be contracted with a specialized company.
- Content. The content of a website can be static or dynamic. This means that it can change over time (such as whether you want to include information on limited promotions) or it can always be the same (in case all you need is a page that shows the main data of your company) .
- To create, modify and maintain this content, the most common and convenient is to use a content management system (CMS, for its acronym in English) which are online platforms that will allow you to create, add, modify and delete elements of the web page to your business.
What options are there to create a website for my business?
There are different routes to take to create a website for your business. The easiest way is to hire a web designer or agency who will walk you through the process, guide you along the way, and do most of the work. However, this option is the most expensive since in addition to the fees corresponding to the domain, hosting and any tools you need, you will have to cover the salary of the web designer.
A cheaper option to create a website for your business is to buy a domain from a domain registrar , hire a hosting service , install a CMS, such as WordPress , on your server and finally add content to your new site through the CMS. .
With WordPress you can make use of default templates with which you only have to add the text and images you need, but the process of setting up the system can be a bit laborious.
Fortunately, there is now a third way to create a website for your business that is cheaper than hiring a web designer and easier than doing everything manually. This method involves the use of a website creation platform. Below we explain what your options are and the steps to follow to create a website for your business quickly and easily.
How to use a website builder platform?
The first step in creating a website for your business using a website builder platform is to choose the platform that best suits your needs. Some of the most popular are:
wix . This site is characterized as the most beginner friendly website builder thanks to its drag and drop interface. Its biggest weakness is that its e-commerce tools are not the strongest on the market.
Square space . It’s a platform that offers more flexibility than Wix, although you can’t drag and drop as easily on it. Two of its main advantages are that customizing its default templates is easy and that its e-commerce tools are some of the most complete you will find.
7 steps to create a website for your business
Once you have chosen a platform to create the website for your business, you just have to follow the steps that we detail below:
- Create an account. Access the website of the platform you chose and select the “Create an account” option. You will only need to add simple information such as your name and email.
- Select a domain. As we already mentioned, the domain is the address that your users or clients must enter to enter your site (as saberespoder.com is for us!). Domains vary in price according to their popularity and must be unique, consider looking for one that fits your budget, correctly represents your brand and, above all, is available.
- Select a template. Website builder platforms offer a wide variety of templates that can be modified to your liking to suit your business. Almost always, these templates are organized according to the line of business that you want to promote. Take into account the image you want to give your customers and select the template that seems most appropriate.
- Add the content. Once you have selected a template, you will have the option to modify it by adding the content that you consider relevant. This will depend on the type of business you have, but the essential elements are a description of the business, your contact information, and the location (if there is a physical location). There are also options to add product catalogs, menus, image galleries or any other type of information that you find convenient.
- Check out the preview of your new site. Website builder platforms allow you to see what the website will look like for your business before you publish it. Make sure the layout and information are adequate and come back to make changes if you feel necessary.
- Select a publishing plan. When the website for your business is ready to be published, your platform will offer you different hosting plans for your site. Month-to-month plans are typically more expensive than yearly plans, but deciding which one is best for you will depend entirely on the capabilities and needs of your particular business. Having made this selection, you must enter your payment information to purchase the service.
Enjoy your new website! Your site will be activated immediately after you make the payment for the service. Mention your website to your clients, friends and family and advertise it on social networks. The more people visit you, the better your search engine rankings will be.